Saturday, August 20, 2011

Barbecued spareribs II (p. 505)


Assuming you are reading this before September 9th, be sure to vote for TJOTJOC as Denver's Most Valuable Blog! You can vote daily!

Ribs are so much cheaper in Iowa than they are in Colorado. Incredibly cheaper. I stumbled upon spareribs for $1.99 a pound! So cheap. I thought they would be perfect for Barbecued spareribs II (p. 505).

The ribs were St. Louis-style spareribs, which means that the "rib tips" have been removed. You can always tell the difference between sparerib types because SLS spareribs always look squared off. Back ribs (or baby back ribs) are from the more dorsal part of the animal, closer to the spine, while the spareribs are from further down, closer to the belly. (And there in your meat science education for the day)

I rubbed the ribs with southern barbecue dry rub and refridgerated them for a few hours:



They went into a roasting pan:



I popped the ribs in the oven for about 35 minutes (less than TJOC asks for), flipped them, and baked them for another 40 minutes:



These ribs were DELICIOUS. They were fork tender, flavorful, and amazing. In the past, I never really understood eating ribs that were "dry" (cooked with just a rub) rather than "wet" (cooked with barbecue sauce) but these were absolutely amazing. In fact, they were so good that we ran right back out and got another rack of them for a future meal.

So what are your favorite type of ribs? Pork or beef? Spareribs or back ribs? Do you like rib tips or consider that a marketing ploy? Inquiring minds want to know!

Add to Technorati Favorites

2 comments:

  1. I love ribs! I am a dry rub girl myself and after a recent trip to Memphis, we have been dry rubbing everything that will fit on our bbq pit. These do look great. By the way, you got my vote! Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm ribs! By far my favourite ribs from TJoC were the baby back ribs with coffee spice rub. They were like nothing I ever tasted before. Can't wait to finish all the recipe and rub combinations. These look delicious. PS. Love your blog! A great reference for tips before I move on to a new recipe from TJOC.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Please let me know what you think!

I'm really sorry, I hate comment moderation, but I've been getting annoying Japanese spam messages lately so...comment moderation has started.