Monday, March 21, 2011

Baked French toast (p. 648)

I don't love French toast. Everyone else seems to but I'm not very enthusiastic about it. Even so, I thought Baked French toast (p. 648) had the potential to be good and Josh was excited about it.

I mixed heavy cream, lots of eggs, honey (my stand in for maple syrup, which I didn't have), sugar (I also didn't have brown sugar, so my flavor profile was fairly compromised), vanilla and salt:



I dipped white bread in it (the recipe even says "white sandwich bread") and laid them in an 8x8 baking pan, layering in to a double layer. It was at this point that I realized it was supposed to sit overnight. Sigh. That's what I get for not reading through the recipe.



I pressed Saran wrap onto the surface and popped it in the fridge:



The next night it had soaked up most of the egg mixture:



Problem 1: The bread didn't want to come out of the pan, it was falling apart.
Problem 2: The bread was not shaped normally anymore

So this is what they looked like when I laid the bread on a cookie sheet:



Attractive, right? Something you would want to make for company, right?

I hoped they would get better with baking.



They did not. I flipped them after about 7 minutes:



Tell me that isn't the most pathetic thing you've ever seen. I mean, come on.

If you are going to make this recipe, I have some suggestions:
1. Don't use white sandwich bread, use a stronger bread like Italian or French bread
2. Grease the heck out of the pan.
3. Use maple syrup and brown sugar because these were rather boring

Honestly, these tasted okay, they were just really ugly and not worth waiting a day to eat. I'm thankful I only have one more French toast recipe to make.

Wikipedia says that some people eat French toast with ketchup. That horrifies me. Has anyone actually done that?
Add to <span class=Technorati Favorites">

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Please let me know what you think!

I'm really sorry, I hate comment moderation, but I've been getting annoying Japanese spam messages lately so...comment moderation has started.