Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Tomatoes Provencale (p. 312), Broiled tomatoes (p. 312), and Slow-roasted tomatoes (p. 312)

I was shopping at Dahl's with my mom when I came across a motherlode of tomatoes on the sale cart. Honestly, pounds and pounds of tomatoes. I bought three giant trays of tomatoes for about $2.50. I thought it was the perfect opportunity to knock out a few tomato recipes!

I thought Tomatoes Provencale (p. 312) looked like a delicious recipe. I combined bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, parsley (from mom's plant), basil, garlic, and a little olive oil:



I squeezed the seeds from my tomato halves:



And added the breadcrumb mixture to the tomatoes, drizzling olive oil over the whole shebang:



I even domed the filling up like the recipe recommended:



I baked the dish for about an hour:



The tomatoes were so amazing! As I bit into the first tomato, I realized that the filling was very, very similar to the stuffing I use for my beloved baby artichokes. The tomatoes add a very different flavor than the artichokes (obviously). Tomatoes Provencale have a very home-y, comfort food feel for me. They remind me of something my grandmother would have made and they seem like something I would make for future generations. So if you love tomatoes, make this recipe. I don't think you will be disappointed. Plus they are extremely simple.

I thought Broiled tomatoes (p. 312) seemed easy. I sliced four tomatoes and seasoned them with salt and pepper. I sprinkled the tomatoes with Parmesan cheese and drizzled olive oil over the top:



They broiled for about five minutes:



Easy! There was nothing particularly exciting about these tomatoes but they were certainly good and only took about ten minutes from slicing the first tomato through pulling them out of the oven. This is a great recipe when you have too many tomatoes, want to do something different with them, and don't have a lot of time.

I thought Slow-roasted tomatoes (p. 312) sounded interesting. I combined powdered sugar, salt, and black pepper in equal amounts:



And sprinkled the mixture over sliced tomatoes. I drizzled the whole concoction with olive oil:




I baked the tomatoes at low temperature for two hours:



They were incredibly good--very interesting. Between the powdered sugar and the slow roasting, the tomatoes had a great sweetness. I've never made tomatoes this way before and I really liked them--I think they would be amazing on a sandwich or in a wrap (or even on a pizza with feta and basil!).

Add to Technorati Favorites

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Please let me know what you think!

I'm really sorry, I hate comment moderation, but I've been getting annoying Japanese spam messages lately so...comment moderation has started.