Sunday, September 12, 2010

Sauteed corn (fried corn) (p. 271) and Caesar salad (p. 159)

Sauteed corn (fried corn) (p. 271) is such an easy recipe that it is barely registers as a recipe at all. I (or rather, Josh) sliced six ears worth of kernels off of the cob (fortunately, there was a 3 cobs for $1 sale). I sauteed them for a few minutes in butter and then seasoned the corn with a little parsley and chili powder:



Definitely tasty. Better than corn poured out of a can and almost as easy. That being said, corn is a heckava lot better in Iowa than it is in Colorado. No contest at all.

I'm not much of a salad girl. My mom finally admitted to me this year that she doesn't like salad either which probably explains why we never ate it growing up (even though my grandparents and aunt have it with almost every meal). Up until recently, I would refuse salad even if it came free with my meal. I just have never really liked salad--it seems so boring and like such a waste of calories.

If I am going to eat a salad, I prefer Caesar salad (p. 159), partially because I see the lettuce as a vehicle to get dressing, croutons, and cheese to my mouth. I wasn't particularly excited about the recipe, though.

I pressed garlic and added a little salt (much easier than mashing the garlic with a fork):



I whisked lemon juice, mayonnaise, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper in with the garlic:



Slowly added olive oil in a slow, steady stream:



I tossed romaine lettuce, homemade croutons, grated Parmesan, and the dressing together:



SO GOOD! In fact, I don't think capital letters are enough emphasis--it was SO GOOD!! This salad was better than I thought salad could be! My croutons were big and delicious, the dressing was SO garlicky, it was so perfectly balanced that I couldn't stop eating it. When Josh told me he wasn't hungry, I thought 'Great! More for me!'--that's how good it was. Of course, he grazed the kitchen after telling me that he wasn't hungry and I walked in to the kitchen to find him shoveling the salad into his mouth as fast as he could. It was the stand-out dish of the night. Has anyone tried this before? What did you think?


Add to <span class=Technorati Favorites">

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Please let me know what you think!

I'm really sorry, I hate comment moderation, but I've been getting annoying Japanese spam messages lately so...comment moderation has started.