Monday, August 30, 2010

Spinach, broccoli, or cauliflower timbales (p. 206), Broiled teriyaki chicken (p. 426), and Teriyaki marinade (p. 586)

When I saw that timbales were on my randomly selected list, I sighed. There is just something about a type of savory mousse that nobody has heard of since approximately 1950 that turns me off. I asked tons of people about timbales to get an idea of what I was in for--not only had nobody I asked ever tasted one, most people had never even heard of timbales.

I decided to set myself up for success and start with the Spinach, broccoli, or cauliflower timbales (p. 206), using broccoli. I figured I had a high chance of liking the this particular type because I love broccoli and cheese.

The recipe wasn't very difficult. I whisked heavy cream, eggs, salt, paprika, nutmeg, and a couple of drops of lemon juice together:



I added cooked broccoli and some grated cheese and poured it all into a buttered dish.



It seemed to bake forever:



Unfortunately it broke when I tried to unmold it:



It was really good! It had the texture and flavor exactly like the inside of a quiche. I wonder if timbales went out of style as quiches rose in popularity. Does anyone know the answer to that? This particular version reminded me of broccoli cheese soup that has somehow solidified (but in a good way). Has anyone even had a timbale?

Every now and then the randomly selected list throws me a metaphorical bone and gives me items that actually go together, such as Broiled teriyaki chicken (p. 426) and Teriyaki marinade (p. 586).

The sauce was easy enough. I combined soy sauce, vegetable oil, brown sugar, garlic cloves, fresh ginger, and a bit of sherry in a pot:



I boiled it down:



And it was ready to be used on the chicken.

I broke down my own chicken--I'm too cheap to buy the chicken pieces and an 8-piece chicken isn't very difficult, I can even post pictures of how to do it if anyone is interested. An 8-piece chicken is two thighs, two legs, two wings, and two breasts (although I almost always split the breasts to make similar sized pieces, so I suppose I'm actually making a ten-piece chicken).




I painted the marinade over the chicken pieces. It slid right off. I poured marinade on the chicken. It still slid off. I think there was too much vegetable oil in the recipe and it made the sauce too slippery.



I managed not to take a picture of the finished product, so you will have to use your imagination. The chicken was really moist but took forever to cook (make sure to use your meat thermometer if you don't want to eat raw chicken). They teriyaki marinade was pretty heavy on the soy sauce and I thought it was a bit strong and oily. I would give the teriyaki marinade another chance but I would use pork rather than chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Please let me know what you think!

I'm really sorry, I hate comment moderation, but I've been getting annoying Japanese spam messages lately so...comment moderation has started.