Sunday, August 29, 2010

Golden sauteed plantain slices (p. 294)

I really like plantains. For those of you who have never had one, they look like this:



The blackish ones are plantains, the yellow ones are bananas (and the green one is a jalapeno). The thing to keep in mind about plantains is that the more black they get, the more sweet and banana-like they are, so don't throw them out when they blacken.

I decided to make Golden sauteed plantain slices (p. 294). I used to pan-fry plantains often as an undergraduate but I haven't made them in years. I'm allergic to almost all fruit so I'm always hoping to find something I can actually eat--my allergy makes eating fruit a game of Russian Roulette. Of course, TJOC puts the plantains in the vegetable section, which may be why I've never found the recipe before (bananas are in the fruit section).

I melted butter and vegetable oil in a skillet and added sliced plantains:




I fried the plantains until they were golden on both sides:



And sprinkled them with salt and pepper.

Delicious! I can't recommend these enough. The plantains hit the perfect combination of sweet and savory (if you sprinkle salt and pepper on them). They are fast, easy, and the perfect comfort food to add to your cooking repertoire. Once you make them you will never need to look at a recipe again, which I see as a real win. Who else loves fried plantains?


Add to Technorati Favorites

1 comment:

  1. Oooh that looks yummy! I love grilled bananas, so this seems like a logical variation to try.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Please let me know what you think!

I'm really sorry, I hate comment moderation, but I've been getting annoying Japanese spam messages lately so...comment moderation has started.