Sunday, December 13, 2009

Bourbon glaze (p. 583) and Steamed broccoli (p. 260)

My father came to visit for the weekend and was supposed to spend a nice weekend with us (drive in Friday, drive home Monday). He got in late Friday, no problem. Saturday he woke up in excruciating pain. It turns out he was running down the street during a blizzard (why? why would you do that?) and slipped, falling hard on his back. I convinced him that we needed to go to the urgent care center, where we spent the next 5-6 hours. It turned out that he had broken a rib and the muscles between his ribs were seizing.

So instead of a weekend of fooling around Colorado, we had a much more relaxed weekend. In fact, we had such a relaxed weekend that we almost didn't move. Poor dad could barely even eat because he was on two different types of muscle relaxers and painkillers. Even so, I decided to try to make a tempting meal to make him feel better.

I had bought a nice spiral-sliced ham at the grocery store and had a nice bottle of Maker's Mark (from making the bourbon balls), so I decided to make a Bourbon glaze (p. 583). The glaze was simple--red wine, bourbon, brown sugar, garlic, and orange zest.



I used my brand-new garlic press I bought from Ideeli. Ideeli is another of my favorite websites. If you like to shop, it's the perfect website. It has deep discounts from designers, which change every day. I LOVE it. My most recent purchase was the Anolon garlic press and a beautiful pot for much cheaper than I've ever seen them before.

I poured the glaze over the ham. It poured like water.




I was not in love with this glaze. It was so thin, it all dripped off! I wasn't very impressed. How was the flavor? Who knows? It all dripped off! I know that it smelled strongly of red wine and not nearly enough like bourbon. I won't bother with that particular glaze again.

Steamed broccoli (p. 260) is another one of those no-brainer recipes.

Chop broccoli, add to the steamer, and steam until done.

From this:



To this:



Done and delicious! I don't understand how so many people hate broccoli when I love it so much!

Add to <span class=Technorati Favorites">

2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean, I love broccoli so much! How can people not like it??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jessica! I hope your dad's better. Bummer about your glaze but if you have a nice ham, it's going to be delicious any way. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Sorry I left you hanging. I really wasn't sure what to do with it, I was just so excited that I wanted to blog about it. After much research, I've decided to flavor some granulated sugar with it or, a much more ambitious project, make some lemoncello. I will be blogging about my results shortly. I hope you are enjoying married life. Your wedding was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Please let me know what you think!

I'm really sorry, I hate comment moderation, but I've been getting annoying Japanese spam messages lately so...comment moderation has started.