Sunday, November 15, 2009

Cabbage soup (p. 130) and Celery root soup (p. 144)

As many of you know, I love soup. In fact, I was just talking to my dad about what we would eat if we could only have one type of food--my answer was soup. I could easily eat only soup for the rest of my life--I love it.

I was optimistic about Cabbage soup (p. 130) because I have recently decided that I like cabbage. I started by sauteing leeks, onions, and garlic in a soup pot--I really liked the look of the large amount of garlic in the dish.



I then added poultry stock, water, carrots, and some potatoes.



And then the cabbage!



The cabbage wilted down:



And managed not to make my house reek of cabbage, which was nice. I thought the soup was good but extremely boring. It needed...something. It was a perfectly nice soup but I don't think I'll make it again. Or if I do, I will add a little cream and some ham or something. It was easy enough...

I also went ahead and made Celery root soup (p. 144).

This is a celery root:



Peeling it was NOT FUN. I tried to use a veggie peeler, which totally didn't work. I had to chop it off with a knife.

The celery root was added to a pot with some celery and onions.



Eventually, a little flour was added and then some poultry stock. I then pureed the whole thing with my stick blender and added heavy cream.



It was DELICIOUS! Josh really loves celery, so he was in love with this soup. This is the first time I've ever had celery root but it seems to have a mild celery taste. I still think the cream of cauliflower soup was superior, but this was a good soup too. So if you get some celery root in your CSA box, this is a good use of it (does that ever happen?).

I think celery root is a strange veggie. Between that and the parsnips I had recently, I feel like I'm broadening my vegetable horizons! Exciting.

Add to <span class=Technorati Favorites">

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Please let me know what you think!

I'm really sorry, I hate comment moderation, but I've been getting annoying Japanese spam messages lately so...comment moderation has started.