Sunday, September 30, 2007

Becker Gyro (p. 188), Becker Lamb Patties (p. 511), Tzatziki sauce (p. 567), Roasted Whole Eggplants (p. 274), Baked Artichoke dip (p. 74), etc

What an exciting day this was! I got a ton of work done today and A TON OF COOKING done! The downside? TJOC is occupying a large amount of my thoughts...I read it a lot, think about it a lot, figure out what I'm cooking, and on and on. Oh well, better than other hobbies, I suppose. I think I can easily make it through this book in a year. I suppose those are famous last words... Even so, it is helping me learn to cook. I learned several things today...

So what did I cook, you ask?


Remember, I told you that TJOC is like a Choose Your Own Adventure novel--one recipe might require that you do three other recipes. I figure those are the most convenient way to cook through the book...more bang for your buck!


I made the Becker Gyro (p. 188) with Becker Lamb Patties (p. 511) and Tzatziki sauce (p. 567). I don't know, apparently I don't like lamb very much, because I couldn't stomach the lamb patties. Josh liked them, ate two gyros, and packed the rest up to put in the freezer for a future lunch. I didn't make the pitas, just bought them at Whole Foods, which is also where I bought my feta--WF makes the BEST feta of all feta! The Tzatziki, on the other hand--terrific! It was really easy to make and really good. I think the best part of this so far is learning what some of the flavors in these food products--I never knew that mint was in tzatziki.


Other things I did for the first time today? Roasted eggplant--I was always afraid of doing that. I also seeded a cucumber, which I was wasn't sure about...but I did it!

These patties were TINY. They kept saying that the recipe would make 12 patties but it was only 1 pound of meat...that's because they wanted tiny 2 inch patties...



After cooking...



Tzatziki--Yum!




My finished gyro...it was strange not to be eating it drunk at 2 am outside a bar--probably 90% of the gyro's I've eaten have been eaten while I was intoxicated. I made it the way I always order them--extra sauce, no onions.






Now, on to the more exciting food...




Josh didn't want me to cook a main dish tonight because he had picked up some "gourmet" burgers at Whole Foods and wanted to eat them on the potato buns we had. So I decided to make Baba Ghanoush (p. 74) using roasted whole eggplants (p. 274).

BG is one of my favorite things to eat. Rachel, one of my very best friends, as well as my roommate during three years in college, and I used to frequent a particular restaurant once a week to eat their BG and rum cake (and ogle our favorite hot waiter). But it isn't on very many menus (make that zero, that I've found) in Fort Collins and I miss it. I had never tried to make it...partially because I was intimidated by roasting the eggplant.

How can that be, you ask? I'm Italian and afraid of eggplants? Sure am, my family never made them. But I was going to pass this fear today....and I had bought a bunch of tahini out of a vat at Whole Foods. I bought unroasted because I have no idea what tahini is or why you would want it roasted. I know it involves sesame, but that's the whole of my knowledge on it.

Another problem I have? The only food processor we own is the world's smallest Cuisinart. It works well--as long as I'm only making three cups of food. Here it is, reading to blend up some BG...



The finished product, pre-olive oil application.





Oh my God! It was so good. I could weep just thinking about it....
TJOC never recommends enough garlic and the next time I make this, I will triple the garlic. Other than that, it was spectacular...and my roasted eggplants were excellent! Nothing to be scared of...

While I was making the BG, I joked to Josh that I should make the Baked Artichoke dip (p. 74) on the same page. He replied that I should make it. We always have plenty of artichokes on hand because I have an unnatural love for them. Now THIS was easy to make--and the first two ingredients? Mayo and Parmesan cheese--nothing low-fat about this dish. It was TERRIFIC! The ultimate comfort food and WAY better than anything that you order at a chain restaurant...not that that's difficult...

Pre-cooking...you always know somethings healthy when it's completely beige...



After baking--


I suppose now is the time to lay down the bets on how much weight I will gain while I'm doing this...


Tomorrow I'm making French Beef Stew (p. 479). I already have the beef, onion, and carrot marinating in the wine, olive oil, and spice sauce....




I think I'm going to admit to people that I am doing this now--I've already made a good start. Tell me what you think....

2 comments:

  1. Baba Ghanoush AND Artichoke dip were both easy to make, seriously!? Oh oh I must try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should try this one--and if you do, come back and comment how it went!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Please let me know what you think!

I'm really sorry, I hate comment moderation, but I've been getting annoying Japanese spam messages lately so...comment moderation has started.